Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Spring time in the mountains

Image result for calf brandingImage result for calf brandingOne of my favorite times of year in northern California is spring. I like spring because it is time to mark this years calves. Marking calves is when you gather all the cows with there calves and put them in a coral. After you put them in the coral you separate the cows from the calves you vaccinate the cows you do this by running them through a shout holding them from moving and give them wormer, pinky and other vaccinations. The calves you can rope or run them through a calve shout. I like roping better. calves you brand ,ear mark, ear tag vaccinate and cut if they are a bull.
some people say this is cruel, mean and unethical  but were else are you supposed to get hamburger.

There is a common misconception that organic beef is better and more healthier than natural beef but my personnel experience organic is not. how can a cow that does not get treated for sickness be healthier. Say that there's a person who has pink eye if you treat them properly it is going to go away and heal but if they don't treat it , it can lead to more serous illnesses or injury such as blindness. the difference between natural and organic is organic you can only worm once a year natural you can worm more than once and vaccinate for pink eye and other common illnesses in beef cattle. I believe that natural beef is healthy choice and lived a better life. 

10 comments:

  1. Nice blog! Northern California is such a beautiful place no matter what season it is. I really like how you picked the spring time for the mountains. I used to mark calves when I was younger and it was fun. I really like how you told in this post on how to mark the calves. Keep up the good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog! Northern California is such a beautiful place no matter what season it is. I really like how you picked the spring time for the mountains. I used to mark calves when I was younger and it was fun. I really like how you told in this post on how to mark the calves. Keep up the good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with non-organic beef. People like the word organic cause they think it is "healthy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with non-organic beef. People like the word organic cause they think it is "healthy."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love branding's at my aunts place its like a big party pretty much, and its so cool to be around these cows knowing that they can hurt us. Yet no ones scared to just walk right up to them and put a needle in there neck. I love doing calf's because calves are really cute and more fun to mess with scene we rope them. I always exited for spring because of there branding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marking is almost here layton wowie I can not wait to do more marking this year.We should both rope this year and show them how its done.I would like to learn more on how organic is not better then non organic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the fact that non-organic cows are happier and healthier. People see the word organic stamped on a package and think that what there buying is better for them and better for the cow. Sure the people eating it ar'nt taking as many chemicals into the body but the cows have to suffer just so they can brag about eating all organic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the fact that non-organic cows are happier and healthier. People see the word organic stamped on a package and think that what there buying is better for them and better for the cow. Sure the people eating it ar'nt taking as many chemicals into the body but the cows have to suffer just so they can brag about eating all organic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your post about branding and spring round up. But I think it would be more interesting if you talk about the history behind it. Don't get me wrong, I like what your talking about, but you should talk about stuff that has to do more with your blog title.

    ReplyDelete